I don’t know about you but I’m pretty much always looking for easy dinner ideas. And if they can be made in the slowcooker, that’s even better. I like to think of my slowcooker like my personal kitchen assistant!
This Slow cooker Turkey, Vegetable and Barley Soup fits the bill on both counts and is a big hit with my family. It is so simple to put together too. I originally found this recipe in a slowcooker book of mine but modified several of the ingredients to make it more to my family’s liking.
We like to serve our soup with oyster crackers! Extra bonus that all the veggies for that meal’s serving are included (and maybe then some!) I hope you’ll give it a try!
- 2 pounds ground turkey, cooked and drained
- 1 28-ounce petite diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen mixed soup vegetables
- ½ cup uncooked barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon dried cumin (depending on your preference)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- In 5 or 6 quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover; cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours or until barley and vegetables are tender.
Looking for more weeknight dinner ideas? Check out the terrific lineup for this week’s Weekday Supper. The theme this month is red foods (or foods with red ingredients) and bloggers from all around the web share simple weekday meal ideas to help you get dinner to the table more easily!