This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cranberry Amaretto Chutney is homemade fruit chutney made from fresh cranberries and amaretto. This easy chutney recipe makes a delicious, easy appetizer, dip, or condiment.
Be sure to sign up for my email list to get new recipes and ideas in your inbox!
My mom first shared this Cranberry Amaretto Chutney with me and it was SO delicious. Such unique flavors and super easy. I first shared the recipe with you all back in 2012 and it’s just so good I thought it was worth sharing again. It’s originally a recipe from my mom and it’s just so versatile. The best part is how easy it is to make but still be an elegant part of your holiday appetizer lineup.
Cranberry Amaretto Chutney is also easy to make ahead. Make up a batch and store it in the refrigerator to pull out when you’re ready to serve for all your holiday gatherings. I normally serve it over cream cheese with crackers but I have also found it is delicious on its own too.
While I normally serve it as an appetizer, it’s also great paired with grilled pork or chicken. Add a salad and my Simple Stovetop Brown and Wild Rice Pilaf and you’ve got an easy, elegant holiday meal good enough for company!
The tartness of the cranberries and lemon juice paired with the sweetness of the sugar and marmalade and a splash of amaretto just work! The alcohol in this chutney mostly cooks off but it does leave behind a nice flavor that makes the Cranberry Amaretto Chutney have a gourmet taste too.
I like to buy cranberries this time of year from my local wholesale club. I can get a HUGE bag for less than $5 (which is almost what it costs from the grocery store!) And I keep them in the freezer to use year-round. They freeze beautifully! I use them in other recipes like Simple Cranberry Crumble Bars or Cranberry Apple Crisp. If you’re crazy for cranberries like I am, be sure to check out my 75 Fresh Cranberry Recipes Roundup
Buying cranberries in bulk makes it even easier to make a large batch of this Cranberry Amaretto Chutney. Find some pretty jars and make a tag so you can give it as gifts too. For more food gift inspiration, check out my 50+ Fabulous Food Gift Ideas roundup post by clicking here.
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe and get a FREE menu plan printable: FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
Now on to the cranberry amaretto chutney recipe:
Cranberry Amaretto Chutney with Cream Cheese
- 2 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice yes, this in addition to the 1 tablespoon
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup amaretto
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade I have subbed apricot jam before too and it's tasty!
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- In medium saucepan, combine cranberries and sugar.
- Over medium high heat, bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Do not skip stirring otherwise the sugar may burn!
- Lower heat to medium low and simmer mixture for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add lemon juice, lemon zest, amaretto and orange marmalade. Stir to combine.
- Let mixture cool to at least room temperature or you may store it the refrigerator for up to a week.
- When ready to serve, spread cream cheese on a serving plate or board and spoon cranberry chutney over top, covering evenly.
- Let cool and pour over cream cheese block or you may spread cream cheese in a shallow dish
- To serve, spread a bit on a variety of crackers.
Have a question or want to share recipe ideas with others? Then join my private Facebook group, Meal Planning Magic Community Table here. If you’ve already joined, be sure to add your friends that may find it helpful too!
And don’t forget you can always follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest , Instagram or Google+. And don’t forget to sign up for my email list here so you never miss a new post! Each of these ways to connect all offer a little something different and are a great way to stay in the loop on new menu plans, recipe ideas, giveaways, organizing tips and more! Want to know what items I’m using in my own kitchen to help streamline my time there? Then check out my Amazon Shop (see disclaimer in footer below this post)