Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
You guys, I’m always on the hunt for easy meals I can serve to my family. But I’m also super conscious about trying to make sure they contain a variety of protein and produce to make it a healthy meal also.
That’s what I love about this Italian Beef and Barley Soup. It’s got a variety of vegetables, lean beef sirloin and the whole grain barley that makes it a nutritious choice for dinner. It’s a thick soup that’s almost more like a stew and my family loves it. The best part is it requires a little prep up front and then I throw everything in my slow cooker and let it do its thing. This is especially nice on Sundays when we like to hang out as a family going into Houston or just lying on the couch watching some Texans football! And I’m often catching up on other household duties like laundry (because it never ends, am I right?) so at the end of the day, it’s great just to be able to dish it up and know that there’s very little clean up too! After a busy week, autumn Sundays seem to be our day to catch up, relax and just enjoy each other’s company with a family meal.
This week I’m partnering with The Beef Checkoff and Sunday Supper to share my recipe but also those of many other bloggers. Not only will you find inspiration by visiting their blogs using the links below, I encourage you to check out The Beef Checkoff’s website for a TON of great recipes featuring lean beef and other healthy ingredients. There are so many I want to try including these Roast Beef and Veggie Wraps (great for lunch OR dinner!) or this Beefy Sweet Potato Hash. They both take about 30 minutes to prepare so would be perfect for an easy family meal!
Here’s my recipe for the Italian Beef and Barley Soup so that you can give it a try yourself:
- 1 1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 - 1½ cups peeled, sliced carrots (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 4 cups beef broth (1 32 oz. box)
- 2 cups water
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a medium to large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides. Set aside.
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, add carrots, onions, bell peppers, dried herbs and spices, barley, broth, water and tomatoes. Add browned beef and stir to combine.
- Cover; cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.
- Makes 6-8 servings.
For more healthy beef meal ideas, be sure to check out The Beef Checkoff website or follow their Healthy Meals With Beef Pinterest boards or find them on Facebook and Twitter for even more recipe inspiration.
And be sure to check out all these bloggers’ recipes this week featuring lean beef!
Healthy Plates with Beef
- Beef and Green Beans over Orange Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Short Ribs with Polenta and Sautéed Greens by Whole Food | Real Families
- Beer Braised Beef Brisket by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Stifado by Recipe for Perfection
- Classic Pot Roast with Lemon and Rosemary by MealDiva
- Easy Stovetop Marsala Roast Beef by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Cherry Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Garlic & Herb Prime Rib with Roasted Potatoes & Beets by Momma’s Meals
- Rosemary Garlic Brisket by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sauerbraten by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Shank Cut Osso Buco by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Beef Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas by Daily Dish Recipes
- Spoon Roast with Mushrooms and Farro by Cooking Chat
- Szegediner Gulasch (German Sauerkraut Beef Goulash) by Magnolia Days
- Thai Red Curry with Beef and Butternut Squash by kimchi MOM
- Vietnamese Style Beef Stew by I’m Not the Nanny
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.