This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
We love Halloween at our house! We love to decorate and make lots of fun foods. I have a big Halloween Pinterest board to collect all the idea I find online and will hopefully make a few this year—there are SO many creative ideas out there! You might also like to check out my Easy Chocolate Black Cat Cookies or Peach and Orange Smoothie for some other fun ideas!
So you might guess that I can never seem to have enough ideas! I’ve held on to this recipe for Halloween Witch Broom Brown Sugar Chocolate and Pretzel Cookies for a few years now after tearing it out of a magazine. I’ve tweaked the recipe a bit from the original and although they have a few steps but are really pretty easy to make. And the base cookie is like a brown sugar shortbread cookie that when paired with the chocolate, butterscotch and saltiness of the pretzels gives you a terrific little bite of deliciousness! My whole family loves them—I have to keep a watch on these otherwise they would disappear in a day!
I hope you’ll give them a try and add them to your holiday party trays—or just for your own family—this year.
Simple Witches Broom Cookies
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces chocolate almond bark melted
- 48 pretzel sticks
Baking the Cookies
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, butter, water and vanilla.
- Stir in flour and salt, just until blended. Do not overmix.
- Using a small scoop or spoon, shape dough into 24 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Insert two pretzel sticks into ball of dough.
- Press dough with tines of a fork so the edge resembles the “bristles” of a broom.
- Bake 11-13 minutes or until brown but not set. Let cool on pan for one minute.
- Remove cookies from baking sheet to a wire rack and cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Melting the Chocolate Almond Bark
- Heat shortening and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for one minute on high. Stir. If needed, heat again for 30 seconds until chocolate is melted thoroughly.
To Finish the Witches Broom Cookies
- Cover a baking sheet with waxed paper (or I like to use a reusable silicone mat) and move cooling rack to baking sheet so that it will "catch" the extra chocolate drizzle.
- Drizzle melted chocolate at the end of where “broom” attaches to pretzel “handle”. I like to drizzle a little extra onto the pretzels too.
- Let stand until chocolate is set, about 15 minutes.