This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A delicious twist on cinnamon rolls, these Beef Sticky Buns with Jalapeno Jelly and Cream Cheese Frosting are full of protein with a homemade beef breakfast sausage and plenty of veggies like mushrooms and spinach. Perfect for company or anytime!
Gosh, I can’t believe it’s been nearly seven years since I shared this recipe for Beef Sticky Buns with Jalapeno Jelly and Cream Cheese Frosting! And when I decided to remake them to update the photographs I was wishing I had been making them more often!
I originally shared this recipe as part of the Texas Beef Council’s beef for the holidays campaign. It caught my eye as one to share because to be honest, I was intrigued by just the name. Beef in a sticky bun? Sounded strange to me but I’m so glad I tried it.
Make Ahead Easy Recipe
What I love about this recipe is despite it’s longish list of ingredients, it comes together easily. A quick tip: you can make the Country Beef Breakfast Sausage the day before so that all you need to do is assemble and bake these Beef Sticky Buns right before you’re ready to serve.
Tasty Homemade Sausage
Taking the time to brown the fresh ground beef and spices really lets the flavors of this homemade sausage shine. I especially like the addition of mushrooms and spinach. I like to break up the sliced mushrooms so they’re a little bit smaller. Or if you have a selective eater like my son, you can even chop them up so that they’re less noticeable. He doesn’t mind the flavor as much as the texture of a whole sauteed mushroom.
The original recipe called for choosing between topping these Beef Sticky Buns with jalapeno jelly OR cream cheese frosting but I like using them both. The jalapeno jelly gives a little extra kick while the cream cheese adds a little something to the texture of each bite and helps with those who are bit spicy sensitive like me!
Now while these can be served as breakfast (pair it with fresh fruit and a warm beverage—yum!) these are also a great addition to your brunch table or even as a lunch. My daughter really likes to take any leftovers to school for her lunch!
Savory Beef Sticky Buns with Jalapeno and Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- ¾ cup onion diced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 12 ounces extra lean ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 13.8 ounces refrigerated pizza dough
- ½ cup jalapeno pepper jelly warmed
- ¼ cup reduced-fat cream cheese softened
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper reduce to half if you prefer less spicy
- 1 tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage
- Heat large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef, sage, garlic powder, onion powder and salt and cook 5-7 minutes, breaking into ½″ crumbles and stirring occasionally Ground beef should be cooked until brown and reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Add button mushrooms and diced onion to beef and spices and cook an additional 5-7 minutes until tender. Add baby spinach to skillet just until wilted and remove from heat. Makes 2 cups of crumbles.
- Stir in ½ cup cheddar cheese. Set mixture aside for 20 – 25 minutes or until mixture is cooled completely.
Beef Sticky Buns Assembly
- Unroll pizza dough on flat surface; pat or roll dough evenly to 14 x 10-inch rectangle, pinching together any tears, if necessary. Spread beef mixture on dough, leaving ½″ border on short side further from you.
- Starting at closest short end, roll up jelly-roll style, pinching to close. Slice dough into 8 pieces using serrated knife and careful sawing motion; place cut-side-up on greased baking sheet.
- Bake in 425 degree oven 18 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Meanwhile, in small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, crushed red pepper and milk. Stir well to combine (I like to use a rubber spatula for this).
- When done baking, remove buns to cooling rack. While still warm, drizzle with melted jalapeno pepper jelly, if desired, or Cream Cheese Frosting.
More Breakfast Recipe Ideas
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Check out these recipes too (some are make ahead also!):
Overnight Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Simple Skillet Chilaquiles
Quick and Easy Egg Bacon and Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
Cinnamon Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe and get a FREE menu plan printable: FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest , or Instagram or sign up for my email list here so you never miss a new post! Each offers a little something different and are a great way to stay in the loop on new menu plans, recipe ideas, organizing tips and more!
Be sure to check out my Amazon Shop to discover the many items I use in my own kitchen. Meal Planning Magic is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Ordering products mentioned here are at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support.