This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
You guys, I’m always on the hunt for easy meals I can serve to my family. But I’m also super conscious about trying to make sure they contain a variety of protein and produce to make it a healthy meal also.
That’s what I love about this Italian Beef and Barley Soup. It’s got a variety of vegetables, lean beef sirloin and the whole grain barley that makes it a nutritious choice for dinner. It’s a thick soup that’s almost more like a stew and my family loves it. The best part is it requires a little prep up front and then I throw everything in my slow cooker and let it do its thing. This is especially nice on Sundays when we like to hang out as a family going into Houston or just lying on the couch watching some Texans football! And I’m often catching up on other household duties like laundry (because it never ends, am I right?) so at the end of the day, it’s great just to be able to dish it up and know that there’s very little clean up too! After a busy week, autumn Sundays seem to be our day to catch up, relax and just enjoy each other’s company with a family meal.
Here’s my recipe for the Italian Beef and Barley Soup so that you can give it a try yourself:
Crockpot Beef and Barley Soup
- 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- Large Sauté Pan
- 1 ½ pounds beef top sirloin steak cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups carrots peeled and sliced (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes ,undrained
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef pieces on all sides just until brown on the outside (not fully cooked).
- Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add carrots, onions, bell peppers, dried herbs, barley, beef broth, water, and tomatoes.
- Add browned beef to soup mixture and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.