This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
With their slight, caramel taste and chewy texture you won’t be able to stop with just one of these Blondie Bars with Chocolate Chips—they’re just that good! Made in one pan, they’re also super easy to make and perfect for a bake sale or any time you want a little something sweet!
Why We Love This Recipe
A few years back I started going through older recipes from my recipe box and rediscovering lots of recipes I hadn’t made in years. This easy blondie recipe was among the discovery and I’m so glad I “found” this recipe again!
Made all in one pot, they are so super easy you’ll find yourself baking them over and over for all kinds of occasions. We like to bake them “just because” and have it’s not uncommon for a whole pan to disappear in just a few days.
Hint: freeze some of these blondie bars if you don’t want them to disappear quite so fast!
With easy to find ingredients, you likely already have all the ingredients in your pantry so bake up a batch today!
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make This Recipe?
As mentioned, the ingredients for this blondie bar recipe are made ingredients that are easy to find in the grocery store. Shop your pantry and refrigerator first as you may already have the ingredients needed on hand.
Seems like we use a lot of chocolate chips so I like to buy the large bags in bulk from our wholesale club to save money. Stored in an airtight container, chocolate chips stay fresh in the pantry for up to four months or twice that if stored in the refrigerator.
Many recipes for blondie bars use a combination of white granulate sugar and brown sugar but these bars use all brown sugar.
The brown sugar lends a slight caramel flavor, they’re like a more caramel-y (is that a word?) version of a chocolate chip cookies. They are super delicious and slightly chewy which makes them a winner in my book.
How to Make These Bar Cookies
Another thing I love about this easy blondie bar recipe is that it is how super quick it is to make. It starts by melting butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat (1).
Next, add the brown sugar and combine with the butter (2). I feel like this process of warming the butter and sugar together is what lends that caramel flavor.
Third, you’ll add the eggs (3). Be sure to whisk the eggs constantly so that they don’t curdle or start to scramble so to speak.
Then, add the dry ingredients and stir just until combined (4).
Pour and spread the batter mixture into a prepared pan (5) and sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts (6).
You can leave them on top of the batter or use a knife to swirl them into the batter for a more mixed bar. Either is good—we like them both ways!
Also, the walnuts are optional. My kids prefer them without nuts but I like them with nuts so we alternate or make whatever we are in the mood for the day that we make them. You could even sprinkle the chopped nuts just on one half so that everyone can enjoy their favorite!
Make Ahead Preparation Tips
Since these bars are so quick and easy (have you gotten that idea yet?), there’s not a whole lot that can be done ahead of time. Although you can measure out the dry ingredients ahead of time and store them in a labeled (affiliate link) airtight container until you’re ready to make the batter.
Are these cookie bars freezer friendly?
For sure! Like many baked goods, these blondie bars with chocolate chips will freeze well for up to three months. Just be sure to store them in an airtight, freezer safe container (affiliate link) or bag and label (affiliate link) and date them. I slice them into bars so that it’s easy to pull out just the number of bars we want to enjoy.
Love cookies and bars like we do?
It’s no secret that I have a big sweet tooth! Check out these other favorite cookie and bar recipes too!
Bake Sale Brown Sugar Blondie Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 large eggs slightly beaten
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350◦F. Spray non-stick spray in a 13” x 9” pan and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter. Add sugar and stir to mix.
- Remove from heat and blend in eggs and vanilla, stirring quickly so eggs do not cook.
- Add flour mixture, gradually stirring until mixed well (do not overmix).
- Spread in 13×9 pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. You can also gently blend chocolate chips and nuts in blonde brownie mixture but move quickly so chocolate chips do not melt.
- Bake at 350◦F oven for 30 minutes until slightly brown on top. Cool in pan then cut into bars.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Cover and set aside until you are ready to make the rest of the recipe.
- Sometimes we make up Blondie Bars with Chocolate Chips “kits” and store in a labeled zip top bag. It’s kind of like buying a store bought cake or cookie mix except you’re making it at home and saving time and money!
This post was originally published in June 2017 and updated in July 2020 with new photos and text.