These Meyer Lemon Blueberry Muffins are the best of two of my favorite flavors. They are quick to make and freeze well so why not make a double batch?
This recipe originally appeared on my blog about four years ago. I’ve updated the recipe and photos after making some adjustments over the years. They are still a delicious favorite of my family!
When we moved into our new house, we inherited a mature Meyer lemon tree and I couldn’t have been more excited! We get lots of lemons and use them throughout the year (see how I preserve the lemons here) So I love to find all kinds of ways to use the lemon zest and juice throughout the year and these Meyer Lemon Blueberry Muffins are a perfect way! The lemon and blueberry combination is such a perfect one–just a little tart with the sweetness of the blueberries! Yum!
Let me tell, you we loved these so much that I actually made up two batches within about three days. They were devoured! My daughter especially loves them! The recipe called for Meyer lemons, which have a slightly orange-lemon flavor that gives it a unique flavor.
These muffins are adapted from a recipe I found on the Fifteen Spatulas blog but I’ve tweaked it a bit over the years and made it my own. I will tell you that when you make the batter, it will seem like not enough. But I promise that it makes one dozen perfectly sized muffins that are perfect for any breakfast, brunch or snack. I hope you’ll give them a try!
Meyer Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Zests of one large Meyer lemon (or large regular lemon)
- 1/3 cup oil of your choice (coconut, canola, etc.)
- 1 extra large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries
- STRUESEL CRUMB TOPPING
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- In small bowl, prepare the streusel crumb topping. To prepare, dice up the butter into cubes, and work all of the ingredients together with your fingertips, until it forms a bunch of crumbs and clumps. Set bowl aside.
- In large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and lemon zest. Take a tablespoon of the mixture and toss it with the blueberries. This ensures that the blueberries stay suspended throughout the muffin, instead of falling to the bottom—very important!
- Place the vegetable oil, egg, and milk in a bowl, and whisk to combine. Add that to the flour mixture, and remember, this batter will be thick! Lumps are ok!
- Add the blueberries, and fold them in gently. Use a scooper to portion them out into the muffin cups, and sprinkle the crumb topping all over the tops.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center come is out with no wet batter. Let them cool, and enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 211kcal Calories from fat 69|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|