This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie is the perfect blend of chocolate, coconut and pecans. If you love the cake, you’ll love the pie too!
Growing up, my mom used to make me a German chocolate cake for my birthday. I think my Dad and I loved it the most so there was always lots for me to enjoy. As I’ve gotten older, I don’t have German chocolate cake near as much as I would like but I still love it!
So when I was recently flipping through an older cookbook that my neighborhood women’s club had put together more than 15 years ago, I was immediately drawn to the German Chocolate Pie. I had to try it and I’m so glad I did! It’s just the right amount of creamy chocolate with coconut and nuts. I love this twist on those classic flavors I love and this pie is really so easy to make. The bonus is it needs to set for four hours so it is a great make-ahead dessert. You can even make it the day before you will be serving it and store it in the refrigerator. I’m always up for make ahead! The filling is creamy but a little thicker than a pudding—almost like a mousse but not quite as fluffy. You’ll just have to try it to find out for yourself!
I had to make a few adjustments because some of the instructions were not totally clear (they were pretty basic) and some of the quantiles of the ingredients originally called for have changed. But one thing’s for sure, this is still a terrific little pie for any occasion-birthdays or not! You can serve it plain or with a bit of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream although I think it is sweet enough on its own.
I hope you’ll give it a try!
German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pie shell
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate this is sold in the baking aisle of your grocery store in bars-check the measurement to make sure you’re getting the right stuff!
- ¼ cup butter
- 12 ounces evaporated milk NOT sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ⅓ cup shredded coconut I like to buy unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream optional
- In medium saucepan, melt chocolate with butter until smooth over medium heat. Gradually add milk and blend with whisk. Add sugar, cornstarch, salt and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and add vanilla and beaten eggs stirring constantly so eggs do not scramble. Gradually blend in chocolate. Pour chocolate mixture into pie shell.
- Combine nuts and coconut. Sprinkle over chocolate filling.
- Bake at 375° for 45 to 50 minutes, watching to make sure coconut does not burn. Filling will be soft but will set while cooking.
- Cool at least 4 hours. Serve plain or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Store any leftovers in refrigerator up to three days.