I’ve lived in Texas for three-quarters of my life so I’m sure it’s pretty safe to say I’m a Texan. Over the years, I’ve come to love many regional foods that just don’t taste as good anywhere else. Fajitas are one of those dishes that are on a regular rotation in our house and are perfect for entertaining guests. We make and serve them often!
Making fajitas are so easy and everyone loves that they can customize the flavors in their own tortilla to suit their taste. Very often, we’ll do a big cookout grilling the meat and vegetables on the grill. We usually serve both beef steak and chicken and sometimes even shrimp.
When we go out, there are some restaurants that really know how to do them up right but in general, fajitas made in Texas are some of the best I’ve ever had and I consider it one of the staples in Texas cuisine that anyone visiting needs to try before they leave! Whenever we go on vacation, we try to eat as locally as possible and avoid the chain restaurants. It’s a great way to find regional specialties that help you learn a little bit more about the history of the area and some of our best vacation memories are at the little hole in the wall restaurants we’ve discovered.
Although fajitas on the grill are relatively simple, our schedule is often so busy that I’m glad to have this Simple Slowcooker Steak and Chicken Fajitas recipe as an alternative. It is SO, so easy to make on a busy weeknight and enjoy at the end of a busy day (or even when guests are visiting so you spend less time cooking!) Each of us prefers a little bit different combination of meat and toppings so the customization is great. I hope you’ll give these Simple Slowcooker Steak and Chicken Fajitas a try and let me know what you think. It’s a family favorite!
Simple Slowcooker Steak and Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound beef flank steak
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa (I prefer mild but you can also use medium), plus extra for serving
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bag frozen bell peppers and onions (one of the stores I shop at calls it “fajita mix”)
- Flour tortillas, warmed
- Sliced avocado or prepared guacamole, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Slice flank steak lengthwise in half then crosswise into strips—about 2-inches long. Slice chicken in similar way—first lengthwise then into strips about 2-inches long by ½-inch wide. Place meat into slowcooker.
- Add 1 cup salsa, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on LOW 5-6 hours.
- About ½ hour before serving, add frozen onion and bell pepper mixture until warmed through.
- Serve meat and vegetable mixture in warmed flour tortillas. Top with optional avocado, cheese, sour cream and/or extra salsa, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 232kcal Calories from fat 77|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 9g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Today I’m joining my Sunday Supper friends again as we share our favorite regional dishes! I’m excited to see all the creative recipes shared by my fellow food bloggers and I hope you’ll check out all their recipes. It will be like going on vacation for your tastebuds without having to leave your kitchen!
- Crispy Salmon Bites with Homemade Tartar Sauce by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Loaded Tex-Mex Chile con Queso by The Weekend Gourmet
- New England Style Stuffed Clams by Caroline’s Cooking
- Brandy Old Fashioned by Curious Cuisiniere
- Wine Pairing Recommendations For #SundaySupper Regional Specialties by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Breakfast Empanada Casserole by Simply Healthy Family
- Pittsburgh Steak Salad by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Homemade Ranch Dressing by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tupelo Honey Key Lime Vinaigrette by Family Around the Table
- Alabama White Barbecue Sauce by Cookin’ Mimi
- Delaware Crabs by Delaware Girl Eats
- JoJo Potatoes by A Mind Full Mom
- Long Beans with Coconut by Food Lust People Love
- Old Bay Cauli-Tots by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Southern Collard Greens by Magnolia Days
- Amish Chicken and Noodles by Palatable Pastime
- Boiled Lobster with Drawn Butter by Taste And See
- Bison Steaks with Cranberry Chimichurri by Tramplingrose
- California Beer Steamed Shrimp by Nosh My Way
- Avocado BLT Sandwich by Brunch-n-Bites
- Cali Inspired Fish Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Tex Mex Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Cola Marinated Steak Tips by Hardly a Goddess
- Corn and Bacon Chowder by Moore or Less Cooking
- Crab-Stuffed Artichokes with Spicy Aioli by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Deep Fried Pizza Roll by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Halal Cart-Style Chicken and Rice with White Sauce by The Texan New Yorker
- Copycat Hattie B’s Hot Chicken by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Homemade Quebec Maple Baked Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- How to Make Vegetable Lumpia by Asian In America
- Italian Hot Dog by Simple and Savory
- Mom’s City Chicken by My Life Cookbook
- North Carolina BBQ with Cole Slaw and Hush Puppies by The Freshman Cook
- Philly Cheesesteak Calzones by Baking Sense
- Polish Boy Sandwich by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spicy Salmon for Tacos by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Tex-Mex Slowcooker Chicken and Beef Fajitas by Meal Planning Magic
- West Michigan Wet Burritos by Wholistic Woman
- Upside Down Angel Food Cupcakes by Cooking With Carlee
- Austrian Mohnnudeln (Poppy Seed Noodles) by The Bread She Bakes
- Butter Tarts – A Canadian Tradition by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Carob Cherry Crumb Bars by Pies and Plots
- Florida Key Lime Cream Pie by The Crumby Cupcake
- Fried Biscuits by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Gooey Butter Cake from Saint Louie! by Our Good Life
- Homemade Butterscotch Krimpets by The Redhead Baker
- San Jose Burnt Almond Cake by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Shoofly Pie by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Bar Cake by Get the Good Stuff!
- Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Plus Rhubarb Steamed Pudding and Favorite Regional Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement