I’ve lived in Texas for three-quarters of my life so I’m sure it’s pretty safe to say I’m a Texan. Over the years, I’ve come to love many regional foods that just don’t taste as good anywhere else. Fajitas are one of those dishes that are on a regular rotation in our house and are perfect for entertaining guests. We make and serve them often!
Making fajitas are so easy and everyone loves that they can customize the flavors in their own tortilla to suit their taste. Very often, we’ll do a big cookout grilling the meat and vegetables on the grill. We usually serve both beef steak and chicken and sometimes even shrimp.
When we go out, there are some restaurants that really know how to do them up right but in general, fajitas made in Texas are some of the best I’ve ever had and I consider it one of the staples in Texas cuisine that anyone visiting needs to try before they leave! Whenever we go on vacation, we try to eat as locally as possible and avoid the chain restaurants. It’s a great way to find regional specialties that help you learn a little bit more about the history of the area and some of our best vacation memories are at the little hole in the wall restaurants we’ve discovered.
Although fajitas on the grill are relatively simple, our schedule is often so busy that I’m glad to have this Simple Slowcooker Steak and Chicken Fajitas recipe as an alternative. It is SO, so easy to make on a busy weeknight and enjoy at the end of a busy day (or even when guests are visiting so you spend less time cooking!) Each of us prefers a little bit different combination of meat and toppings so the customization is great. I hope you’ll give these Simple Slowcooker Steak and Chicken Fajitas a try and let me know what you think. It’s a family favorite!
Simple Slowcooker Steak and Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound beef flank steak
- 1 pound chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 cup salsa I prefer mild but you can also use medium, plus extra for serving
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces frozen bell peppers and onions one of the stores I shop at calls it “fajita mix”
- 16 flour tortillas warmed
- 1 avocado sliced, optional
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
- 1 cup sour cream optional
- Slice flank steak lengthwise in half then crosswise into strips—about 2-inches long. Slice chicken in similar way—first lengthwise then into strips about 2-inches long by ½-inch wide. Place meat into slowcooker.
- Add 1 cup salsa, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on LOW 5-6 hours.
- About ½ hour before serving, add frozen onion and bell pepper mixture until warmed through.
- Serve meat and vegetable mixture in warmed flour tortillas. Top with optional avocado, cheese, sour cream and/or extra salsa, if desired.