The summer heat is here, y’all! And when it comes to dinner, finding recipes that keep the heat out of the kitchen are an extra bonus! I’m not sure when I first had this Ham and Broccoli Pasta Salad. I remember my mom making it for different occasions to take places and it was something we also enjoyed as a family. I love making it now to bring to potlucks and I especially love that I can make it up ahead of time so that I have a quick and easy dinner (or lunch!) ready to go on a busy night. I love that it is full of wholesome, real food ingredients that get a little bit of extra fiber (from the whole wheat pasta!) and veggies all wrapped up into one meal. I usually make this with fusilli pasta (that’s the corkscrew type) but you can use any pasta that your family likes, like penne, bow ties, macaroni, etc. Just not one of the longer pastas obviously!
When it comes to pasta, I buy whole wheat organic pasta. We’ve been eating this so long, my family thinks it’s the norm and they’re getting extra fiber, too. I buy the Central Market (from HEB) brand and it’s actually about the same price as the traditional pasta–win, win!
I hope you’ll give this pasta salad a try!
Simple Ham & Broccoli Pasta Salad
- 2 cups fusilli pasta I use whole wheat pasta, cooked and rinsed under cool water
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup purple onion chopped
- 2 cups fresh broccoli chopped
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cooked ham cubed
- In large salad bowl, layer first five ingredients in order listed. Spread mayonnaise over top. Sprinkle sugar on mayonnaise. Layer remaining ingredients in bowl. Refrigerate for at least one hour, up to 8 hours. Mix all ingredients together before serving.