Apple streusel crumb pie is the perfect dessert to make with crisp fall apples. The easy pastry crust is flaky and buttery, and the streusel topping gives the apple pie an incredible texture.
It’s been awhile since I last participated in #SundaySupper, but when I saw it was an Autumn Apple Party theme, I just knew I had to try and make it work. We LOVE apples around here. In pretty much any way, shape or form.
If you’re not familiar with #SundaySupper, the idea is that we all need to take the time, even if it’s just once a week, to get back to the family dinner table and share our time with family. For generations before ours, it was a weekly tradition and it’s something that we hope to make a tradition once again in households across the globe. And how timely is it this week since this Monday is also National Family Day that encourages families to eat together!
This time, I chose to bake an Apple Streusel Crumb Pie. Sure, there are lots of apple pie recipes, but this is one from my grandmother. It is SO easy to make, and delicious. Don’t let the picture fool you…it kind of fell apart for the picture, but has a subtle sweetness without being over the top.
One trick I have is to make up apple pie freezer kits, so that I can take advantage of prime apple season and prepare all the ingredients I need to make a delicious apple pie any time of the year. Making a freezer kit for apple streusel crumb pie is simple. Just prepare your apple filling just like you normally would, then put it in a resealable gallon size bag, label it, and throw in the freezer! Do the same for the crumb topping and also the pie crust. You can keep them all in a larger bag so that all you have to do is grab it, let it thaw in the refrigerator for a few hours, assemble and bake.
Easy peasy! This is perfect for when you need a dessert for a special occasion (or just because) and are short on time.
Here’s the recipe for the apple streusel crumb pie, so you can make your own kits and homemade apple streusel pie, too!
Apple Streusel Crumb Pie Recipe + Freezer Kits #SundaySupper
- 4 large apples
- 1/2 recipe plain pastry (use your favorite recipe or refrigerated dough if you like)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 C flour
- 1/3 C butter
- Peel apples (I don’t always do this because I’m lazy sometimes—it actually tastes ok!)
- Arrange apples in pastry lined pie pan. Sprinkle with ½ C sugar mixed with cinnamon. Sift remaining ½ cup sugar with flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake in 450° oven for 10 minutes, then at 350° for 40 minutes until golden on top.
For crumb topping, combine flour, sugar and butter in medium bowl until crumbly as described. Transfer to quart size bag, seal and label.
For homemade pie crust, prepare according to directions, roll into ball, flatten, transfer to quart size bag, seal and label.
If desired, put all three bags in larger gallon size bag, label and freeze for up to three months.
|Serving Size||1 piece|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 218kcal Calories from fat 72|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
In addition to my apple streusel crumb pie recipe, be sure to check out these other fabulous Autumn Apple Party recipes by the rest of the SundaySupper members.
There are over 60 apple recipes here!
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Apple Sage and Onion Soup with Cheddar Bacon Croutons – Wine in Tampa
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Appel Pear Kuchen (Apfel Birnenkichen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel – Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Apple Pound Cake- Damn Delicious
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Chai Spiced Apple Pull-Apart Bread- Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Apple Streusel Crumb Pie – Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- Gluten Free Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rustic Apple Galette & Give-Away – Mrs Mama Hen
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Capirotada La Cocina de Leslie
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Muffins- Basic N Delicious
- Spiced Apple Ale Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Wine Pairings for our #SundaySupper Autumn Apple Party! – ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite apple recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!