This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
My Pumpkin Pie Dessert Squares give traditional pumpkin pie a makeover for a twist on an old favorite. It’s easy to make ahead, too!
I originally got the recipe many years ago for these Pumpkin Pie Dessert Squares from my mom. I have made it many times over the years for parties, teacher luncheons and other events. Every time I make it, it’s a HUGE hit! They are really easy and if I had my way, I’d be making this dessert a lot more often.
If you love pumpkin like I do, make a plan to bake some of these up to share with your friends and family at Thanksgiving or other holiday. I cut mine into smaller bars and we had them like finger food. But you can cut them into bigger squares
What’s your favorite way to enjoy pumpkin? I LOVE all things pumpkin! Check out my Pumpkin-palooza Pinterest board for more recipes using pumpkin if you’re a fan like me.
Pumpkin Pie Dessert
For the Crust
- 15.25 ounce boxed yellow cake mix reserve 1 cup dry mix for topping
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
For the Filling
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 14 ounces canned pumpkin
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
For Streusel Topping
- 1 cup reserved yellow cake mix
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
Optional Serving Topping
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using non-stick spray, spray bottom only of 9×13 pan and set aside.
To Prepare Crust
- In a large bowl, add cake mix, saving out one cup dry mix for topping.
- Add egg and melted butter to remaining cake mix in bowl and stir to combine.
- Press mixture firmly in bottom of pan and set aside.
To Prepare Filling
- In medium sized bowl, combine eggs, evaporated milk, canned pumpkin, sugar, vanilla, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground cloves.
- Pour filling mixture over crust, spreading evenly over entire crust batter.
To Prepare Streusel Topping
- In small bowl, add 1 cup reserved dry cake mix, ¼ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and ¼ cup butter.
- Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over pumpkin filling.
- Bake at 350º for 45-50 minutes.
- Knife should come out clean when inserted in center.
How to Serve It
- Allow pan to cool slightly, about 30 minutes, at room temperature.
- Cut into 12 squares and top with prepared whipped topping if desired.
Don’t want to miss a new weekly menu plan? Be sure to SIGN UP HERE to receive updates via email or RSS feed (you can choose the reader you prefer!) And don’t forget you can always follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram. They all offer a little something different and are a great way to stay in the loop on new menu plans, recipe ideas, giveaways, organizing tips and more!
This recipe was originally published in 2011 and updated in November 2016 with new photos. This recipe was originally published in 2011 and updated in November 2016 with new photos.