Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by the Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
I’ve been making a version of this chili for over a decade now and it is one of my family’s favorites! Inspired by a recipe I originally found in a Cooking Light magazine, I love that it makes enough that we can enjoy it one night for dinner and put the leftovers in the freezer to eat another day. Double win-win! This Slowcooker Classic American Chili features ground round, a lean cut of beef, tomatoes, kidney beans and spices—and a secret ingredient of red wine. With all those ingredients, it’s a nutritious, protein-rich meal that is bursting with flavor! It really helps satisfy our hunger—perfect on cool fall or winter nights!
This week I’m partnering again with The Beef Checkoff and Sunday Supper Movement and other bloggers to share my recipe with you all. (Check out my other Beef Checkoff posts like this Bistro Style Steak and Onion Sandwich or this Slowcooker Italian Beef and Barley Vegetable Soup). Not only will you find inspiration for nutritious recipe ideas featuring lean beef by visiting their blogs using the links below, I encourage you to check out The Beef Checkoff’s website for a TON of great recipes featuring lean beef and other healthy ingredients. You can find leaner cuts of meat by checking out the Interactive Butcher Counter. Search for the cuts with the green lean icon to find recipes you might like to try! Plus, it’s a great resource to help you choose and prepare beef.
Slowcooker Classic American Chili (ad)
- 1 pound ground round 95% lean beef
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage mild or hot depending on your preference
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup Merlot or other fruity red wine
- 28 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces no-salt added kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat a large saute pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and sausage. Cook about 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
- Transfer to slowcooker. Add all remaining ingredients (onion through kidney beans) EXCEPT cheese to slowcooker. Stir to combine.
- Set slowcooker to cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours.
- To serve, discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.