This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I’ve been making a version of this chili for over a decade now and it is one of my family’s favorites! Inspired by a recipe I originally found in a Cooking Light magazine, I love that it makes enough that we can enjoy it one night for dinner and put the leftovers in the freezer to eat another day. Double win-win! This Slowcooker Classic American Chili features ground round, a lean cut of beef, tomatoes, kidney beans and spices—and a secret ingredient of red wine. With all those ingredients, it’s a nutritious, protein-rich meal that is bursting with flavor! It really helps satisfy our hunger—perfect on cool fall or winter nights!
Slowcooker Classic American Chili (ad)
- 1 pound ground round 95% lean beef
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage mild or hot depending on your preference
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup Merlot or other fruity red wine
- 28 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces no-salt added kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat a large saute pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and sausage. Cook about 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
- Transfer to slowcooker. Add all remaining ingredients (onion through kidney beans) EXCEPT cheese to slowcooker. Stir to combine.
- Set slowcooker to cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours.
- To serve, discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.