This recipe originally appeared on my blog over four years ago. I’ve updated the photos but the recipe remains the same–delicious! It was originally part of a weekly Sunday Supper event for Back To School. If you’re like me, you don’t need back to school time as an excuse for getting quick and healthy meals on the table for busy weeknights, right?
This BLT Soup is SO simple to make and filling enough that I’m guessing it will become a family favorite–it is for us! It blends bacon, lettuce and tomato along with a few extra ingredients for a unique twist on this classic flavor combination. And it’s super quick–you can have dinner on the table in about 20 minutes.
The recipe I chose this week is one I actually came across at my local farmer’s market. Each week they have a table where you can pick up recipe cards that often feature seasonal produce or other foods. The recipe is actually part of the Go Texan campaign from the Texas Department of Agriculture!
And since my daughter loves the tomato soup at a local restaurant, I decided that I would try to make a version of that from scratch at home. It was a huge hit and oh so easy to whip up. Double bonus! I will sometimes pair this with a simple grilled cheese sandwich or quesadilla. Grilled cheese and tomato soup is a classic combination that is perfect for a weekend lunch or easy weeknight meal. Another similar family favorite is my Easy Homemade Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup–you can make it in 20 minutes or less! I hope you’ll give these recipes a try!
- 8 slices bacon crisply cooked
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounces chicken broth
- 15 ounces cannellini beans or navy beans
- 1 ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup green leaf lettuce shredded
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves thinly sliced
- Coarsely crumble bacon and set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, stir together tomatoes, broth, beans and seasoning. Bring to a simmer; stir in vinegar.
- In small bowl, toss together lettuce and basil. Ladle soup into large soup plates or bowls; garnish each serving with crumbled bacon, lettuce and basil.
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
If you’re looking for more ideas to get you in and out of the kitchen quickly, be sure to check out this week’s recipes from all the other bloggers listed below. Many thanks to Nicole at Daily Dish Recipes for hosting this week’s Sunday Supper! And don’t forget to check out a few of my favorites from previous Sunday Suppers that are just great for Back-To-School too!
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Pasta with Creamy Kale Pesto by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Whole Wheat Pasta with Swiss Chard and White Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Kung Pao Shrimp by Mangoes and Chutney
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Chorizo Tomato Pasta with a Creamy Sauce by Avocado Pesto
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle