Slowcooker Cowboy Chili Frito Pie
Slowcooker Cowboy Chili Frito Pie is a healthier version of the concession-stand favorite. Made with better-for-you ingredients, it's make ahead too!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 15 mins
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1.5 cups onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 cups yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper seeded, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes undrained
- 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 14.5 ounces beef broth
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 30 ounces black beans rinsed, drained; two 15 ounce cans
- 4 cups corn chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack blend cheese optional
In large pan, brown ground beef over medium heat 8 to10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside. Pour off drippings.
In 6-7 quart slowcooker, combine cooked ground beef and remaining ingredients, onion through black beans. Stir to combine.
Cook in slowcooker 6-8 hours on LOW or 3-4 hours on HIGH.
To serve, layer 1/2 cup corn chips in a bowl and top with chili. Add cheese if desired.
MAKE AHEAD TIP:
Since this chili recipe is a slowcooker recipe, it's naturally make ahead! Take it one step further and portion it out into freezer safe containers for an extra meal to thaw and serve another day. Purchase chips and cheddar jack cheese for serving day.
Calories: 564kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 718mg | Potassium: 1268mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Vitamin C: 71.6mg | Calcium: 250mg | Iron: 7.2mg