Spanish Rice Skillet Dish
Filled with yummy healthy vegetables, rice, ground beef and spices, 30 minutes is all it takes for this easy, filling Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup green bell pepper chopped
- 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes canned, undrained
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- ½ cup chili sauce this can be found in the same aisle as ketchup or mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese or any cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped, optional
In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain excess fat from skillet.
Stir in remaining ingredients, onion through black pepper.
Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in shredded cheddar cheese.
Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS:
MONEY SAVING TIP:
- Use frozen chopped onions and bell peppers to save you time!
- Brown the ground beef the day before and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Or you can even freeze it in a labeled airtight container and thaw when ready to use.
- Combine the rice and dry ingredients (herbs and spices) in a bowl. Cover and set aside at room temperature until you are ready to prepare the recipe.
- Purchase frozen chopped onions and bell peppers at the grocery store. They are often cheaper than fresh and are so easy to use. At my grocery store, they average around $1 for a 12 oz bag!
- Look for ground beef when it goes on sale or if it's marked down. My grocery store will often mark down meat by 25% if it will expire within the next few days.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 678mg | Potassium: 465mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6.5% | Vitamin C: 14.6% | Calcium: 8.2% | Iron: 13.7%