Y’all, I have been going through so many older cookbooks lately and discovering lots of yummy new-to-us recipes. You know those ones that are compilations of recipes submitted by group members—maybe a church group, moms club, work friends, kind of thing? There’s a reason those recipes were submitted—because they are usually family favorites. One thing I’ve noticed though is that in the older cookbooks, they’re not always the healthiest recipes. So I’ve enjoyed trying new recipes for my family and tweaking them to make them a bit healthier for my family.
This week I’m sharing a recipe for Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet. Recipes like these are perfect for busy weeknights because they can usually be made in 30 minutes or less and since everything is made in one pan, there is less cleanup. Those kind of recipes are always a double winner in my book! I love the flavors in this Spanish Rice Skillet—think of it as a Spanish fried rice without the stir-fried part! I could eat the whole pan myself and it makes good leftovers for lunches too!
Now on to the recipe:
Spanish Rice Skillet Dish
- 1- pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 14.5 oz can canned petite diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- ½ cup chili sauce this can be found in the same aisle as ketchup or mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese or any cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro optional
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain excess fat from skillet.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, onion through black pepper.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
Note on Nutrtional Information
Nutritional information for the recipe is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on this site. Erythritol carbs are not included in carb counts as it has been shown not to impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Today, I’m also sharing other skillet recipes from fellow Sunday Supper Tastemakers that are perfect for just about any time you want a quick and easy meal. I know I can never have enough of quick and easy recipes so I hope you’ll try my Spanish Rice Skillet and be sure to check out the recipes below from my fellow food bloggers!
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.