Potato soup is a hearty, inexpensive dinner. This slowcooker potato soup has kielbasa sausage, spinach, and Gouda cheese, so it’s filling and delicious, too. Let your slow cooker do the work!
My daugher loves baked potato soup (well, we all do but she’s a superfan!) She orders it whenever she can when we go to a restaurant that has it on the menu. But I’m sure the restaurant version is full of calories and fat that we certainly try to watch. So when I first found a potato soup recipe that I could make in the slowcooker, we were hooked! Potato soup is super easy and the best part about making it yourself is that you can control what goes in it.
I often like to use one- or two-percent milk or sometimes low-fat evaporated milk like this recipe for Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup with Gouda. This recipe is adapted from a recipe I found in one of my favorite slow-cooker cookbooks, the Favorite Brand Name Slow Cooker book.
I love that it has spinach in it (I’m always looking for ways to get extra greens into our menu and spinach seems to be one that my family actually likes!) and the addition of kielbasa sausage makes this a hearty soup perfect for a great meal. The gouda adds a unique flavor that is just delicious. Best of all, who doesn’t love making dinner in the morning and coming home from a busy or long day with dinner waiting? This recipe fits the bill perfectly!
Pair the potato soup with a garden salad and some crusty bread and you’ve got dinner covered.
Slowcooker Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup with Gouda
- 12 oz. package Kielbasa sausage
- 6 cups Yukon Gold (or similar brand) potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes (about 9 medium potatoes)
- 2 cans (14 oz) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups smoked Gouda cheese, divided (I used sliced cheese and chopped it up as I could not find it shredded)
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 7-8 sprigs of curly parsley, chopped
- Cut kielbasa into slices and cook in medium saucepan until warmed through and slightly crispy on the outside. Cut into quarters (four pieces per slice). Set aside.
- In slow cooker, combine sausage, potatoes, chicken broth, water, red onion, spinach, salt, red pepper and black pepper. Cover; cook on LOW 10 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Slightly mash potatoes (I used my potato masher but you could also just use a large spoon), add 2 cups of the Gouda cheese and evaporated milk. Stir to combine. Cover; cook on HIGH 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Pour soup into bowls. Sprinkle remaining 2-3 teaspoons of remaining Gouda cheese in each bowl. Add parsley, if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 3167kcal Calories from fat 1679|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 187g||288%|
|Saturated Fat 90g||450%|
|Dietary Fiber 25g||100%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This week I’m joining in with the Sunday Supper team to share my recipe and many of theirs to inspire you all to try new recipes in your slowcooker!
In addition to my potato soup recipe, check out all of the delicious sounding slow cooker recipes below:
- Crockpot Kielbasa Split Pea Soup from The Foodie Army Wife
- Amazing Slow Cooker French Onion Soup from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Soup from Flour On My Face
- Kale & Kielbasa Soup Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Spinach and White Bean Soup from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Spicy Ham and 10-Bean Soup from Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Caramelized Pork Noodle Soup from Brunch with Joy
- Slow Cooker Acorn Squash and Apple Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Three Bean, Butternut, and Quinoa Vegetarian Chili from Ruffles & Truffles
- Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup With Gouda from Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup #GlutenFree from Sue’ s Nutrition Buzz
Scrumptious Mains (Breakfast and Dinner)
- Slow Cooked Apple Pie Oatmeal from Life Tastes Good
- Pork and Cabbage Stew from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from Peaceful Cooking
- Slow-Cooked Country Pork and Veggies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders from Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef from Marlene Baird
- Madras Beef Curry with Vegetables from Curious Cuisiniere
- Crock Pot Pork Chops with Apples and Figs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Sesame Chicken from Casa de Crews
- Pork Chops in Gravy with Potatoes from Cookin’ Mimi
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Slow Cooker Spicy Peach Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Scalloped Potatoes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions from The Dinner-Mom
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Chocolate Cake from MealDIva
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow-Cooker Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding) from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake from NinjaBaking
- Slow Cooker Sourdough from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slowcooker Seedy Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Sips and Spreads
- Spiced Caramel Cider from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.