This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Last week I kicked off the Make It Ahead Monday series with Chicken & Cabbage Potstickers recipe. What a great response there was on Facebook, Twitter and here! This week’s installment is actually one that I’ve been wanting to share for awhile. Did you know that there is such a thing as Pi Day? You know, mathematically 3.14 so 3/14? Celebrated by foodies as Pie Day I thought it would be fun to feature a pie post in honor of it! For real, click on that link and you’ll see it’s been named a real “holiday” (who knew? I didn’t!)
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
When I was younger I used to LOVE a frozen pot pie. You know, the kind that comes in a little red box in the frozen food section? Loved them.
But as I got older I realized they were full of calories and fat! Yikes! And some preservatives I didn’t really want either.
So a couple of years ago I went searching for a recipe that I could make at home. I found this one in the 30 Day Gourmet Big Book of Freezer Cooking cookbook and I knew it would be a winner since everything I’d ever made from that book we always loved. You can read my review of the book by clicking here.
Awhile back I made this for my freezer meal exchange group and they raved about it. Just about everyone wanted a copy of the recipe because their families loved it too! It came in handy too for some friends of ours whose daughter was in the hospital and needed some support during that time (she’s fine now thankfully!)
Made with All Natural Ingredients
I love that this recipe uses all fresh ingredients too! It was a cinch to put together and totally worth it because it’s great to be able to pull it out of the freezer and bake it up. Wow! I’m getting hungry just thinking about it—I need to make this again soon!
This recipe was updated on March 1, 2015 to clarify baking instructions and also put it into a mobile and printer-friendly format. The rest of this post remains the same!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie--Make Ahead and Freezable!
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrot chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% milk you may also substitute skim, 2% or whole milk but the nutrition facts will change
- 2 cups chicken cooked, chopped
- 1 cup peas thawed from frozen
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 unbaked pie crusts homemade or store-bought
To Make Filling
- Saute the first 3 ingredients in butter in a big skillet over medium heat until tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Add flour; stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth and milk; cook, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, peas, salt, and pepper.
- Cool before pouring into pie crusts. VERY important! This allows it to thicken a bit more.
- At this point you may freeze the filling in a labeled freezer safe container/bag. To prepare from frozen, read instructions below.
- Freezes very well separately or fully prepared in the crust. Try them both and see which way you prefer! And see instructions below for both.
To Assemble Your Chicken Pot Pie
- Start by preparing the crusts by rolling them out and place the bottom crusts in the pie plates and set aside the top crusts until ready to cover.
- Pour filling mixture into bottom crusts and cover with top crusts.
- Fold edges under and crimp.
- Poke slits in the top (you can make a nice pattern here too!)
Cook Now or Freeze For Later?
How To Freeze Your Chicken Pot Pie
- Cover with foil, label and freeze. See below for preparation instructions
To Bake Fresh Pot Pie Now
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake assembled pie uncovered, for 30-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
To Bake Pot Pie From Frozen
If Assembling Pie With Filling....
- Thaw filling in refrigerator. You might need to stir or mush the filling together to combine well and reincorporate. Assemble as described above (To Assemble Your Pot Pie) and bake accordingly. OR you may bake the whole pie from frozen.
If Baking a Whole (Assembled), Frozen Pot Pie
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, then cover with foil and bake 30 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
Have a question or want to share recipe ideas with others? Then join my private Facebook group, Meal Planning Magic Community Table here. If you’ve already joined, be sure to add your friends that may find it helpful too!
And don’t forget you can always follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest , Instagram or Google+. And don’t forget to sign up for my email list here so you never miss a new post! Each of these ways to connect all offer a little something different and are a great way to stay in the loop on new menu plans, recipe ideas, giveaways, organizing tips and more! Want to know what items I’m using in my own kitchen to help streamline my time there? Then check out my Amazon Shop (see disclaimer in footer below this post)