Peppermint fudge cups are a cross between a cookie and a brownie, with deep chocolate and refreshing peppermint flavors. A holiday cookie recipe perfect for adding to a cookie platter!
Here we are in the fourth week of Christmas treats. I’m starting to feel a little mixed up and realized today that I’d better at least make something Halloween related in the next week, otherwise I’ll miss it entirely. I know my kids won’t let me get away without at least making our annual cat-face cookies!
This week’s cookie treat is one my son chose. A while back, he sat down with a bunch of my holiday cookbooks and chose several recipes that looked good to him. These were originally called Coconut-Fudge Cups, but since I’m really the only one in my family that likes coconut, I decided to do my own variation and make them with peppermint instead. My son was glad to help too!
Peppermint fudge cups are like little bites of fudge with a burst of peppermint inside.
And here’s a little tip: buy peppermint candies when they go on clearance after the holidays and you can use them in recipes all year long. They work great when a recipe calls for crushed peppermints.
And one more tip: I used crushed peppermints in place of the coconut and I will say that they took a little longer to bake than what the original recipe called for. They were also a little chewy in the center, which I attributed to the melted peppermints.
Now, I brought these to a special activity and they were gobbled up before I knew it, so I don’t think too many people minded the textural issues. But if it might bother you, you can substitute ½ tsp of peppermint extract to get that peppermint flavor without the chewiness. I will definitely be making this easy cookie cups recipe over and over!
- Cookie Ingredients
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (3 oz.) pkg cream cheese, softened.
- ¾ c. all purpose flour
- ¼ c. powdered sugar
- 2 T. unsweetened baking cocoa
- ½ t. vanilla
- Peppermint Fudge Filling
- ⅔ c. granulated sugar
- ⅓-1/2 C crushed peppermints
- ⅓ c. unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 T. butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- Garnish, if desired:
- ¼ c. semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 t. whipping cream (I used 1% milk and it was ok!)
- ½ c. crushed peppermints
- Heat oven to 350. In large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in remaining cookie ingredients.
- Shape dough into 24 1-inch balls. Press 1 ball into bottom and up side of each of 24 ungreased mini muffin cups. Mix filling ingredients until spreadable. Spoon about 2 teaspoons filling into each cup.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when filling is touched lightly. Cool slightly; carefully remove muffin cups to cooling rack.
- In 1 cup microwaveable cup, microwave chocolate chips and whipping cream on high 30 seconds, stir until smooth. Frost tops of fudge cups with chocolate and sprinkle with crushed peppermint.
Be sure to check out all the other bloggers who are participating this week in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats blog hop… you’ll have no excuse of “I don’t know what to make!” And if you’re a blogger and want to join in on the fun, check out this post for the form to fill out to start baking along with us!