Full of chocolaty goodness, this easy dessert recipe for homemade slowcooker chocolate lava cake is simple to make in a slow cooker, and it’s oh so yummy!
I’m not sure about you, but Valentine’s Day always seems to sneak up on me. Maybe it’s because we’ve got holiday and January birthdays in our family that just passed. But, if you’re thinking you’d like to make a simple sweet treat for your family this Valentine’s Day, I’ve got just the dessert for you—Homemade Slowcooker Chocolate Lava Cake! And if you ask me, you don’t need a holiday as an excuse to make a chocolaty dessert like this!
Most recipes I’ve found for lava cake call for a box mix but I knew there had to be a way to make Chocolate Lava Cake from scratch. Indeed, there is! I modified my recipe from a few I found online and decreased the amount of sugar. Well, no one missed that extra sugar and my whole family loved it!
I loved that I could throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker in the afternoon and have the ooey, gooey goodness ready for dessert after dinner! So easy, I think it may be dangerous! We served ours with vanilla ice cream. And while not exactly the same, the leftovers are a fudgy sweet treat when warmed up slightly in the microwave. I hope you’ll give it a try too.
If you’re a chocolate lover like me, you won’t be disappointed with this slowcooker chocolate lava cake recipe!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 cups boiling water
- In a medium to large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Pour in milk, melted butter and vanilla and stir until combined. Spread the batter over the bottom of a 3-4 quart slowcooker.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle mixture over the cake batter.
- Pour the boiling water over the top. DO NOT STIR! Cover and cook on High for 2 - 2½ hours. The edges will be bubbly but the cake will look “set” with the pudding oozing around it.
- Cake will be very hot! Turn off heat and carefully remove lid. Let sit, uncovered, 20-30 minutes before serving. You want it warm but not too hot! Serve with ice cream if desired.
I was in a rush when making the slowcooker chocolate lava cake, and forgot to take pictures of the process. But it’s so simple, I know you all can figure it out!
For more dessert inspiration, be sure to visit my Sweet Tooth Pinterest board, Cakes & Cupcakes board, Chocolate board , Cookies, Bars & Biscotti board or follow them and many more by checking them all out here!
What’s your favorite easy-to-make dessert?
Don’t want to miss any more recipes? Be sure to SIGN UP HERE to receive updates via email or RSS feed (you can choose the reader you prefer!) And don’t forget you can always follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram. They all offer a little something different and are a great way to stay in the loop on new recipes, menu plan ideas, giveaways, organizing tips and more!