I am excited to be participating in another #SundaySupper event this week! My first time was only two weeks ago and although I’ve been following along for awhile, I’m just now jumping in and getting involved. A few weeks ago, Isabel, the FamilyFoodie, asked for hosts for upcoming events and when I suggested a Kids in the Kitchen event, she loved it and I agreed to host!
If you’re not familiar with #SundaySupper, the idea is that we all need to take the time, even if it’s just once a week, to get back to the family dinner table and share our time with family. For generations before ours, it was a weekly tradition and it’s something that we hope to make a tradition once again in households across the globe.
My kids and I all love getting into the kitchen and cooking together. Not only does it help them learn basic skills on how to make something to eat, but it also gives us time together. I’ve written before about how kids, even toddlers, can be involved in the cooking process.
When I asked them what they wanted to make for this Kids In the Kitchen event, they both said, without hesitation, “Pad Thai!” We love many different kinds of Asian food and eat and prepare them often. Pad Thai has become a dish that they can practically make all on their own now but we all still like to make it together. It’s also a dish that my husband likes to make with them.
We have made Pad Thai using the mixes available on the Asian food aisle and also a bit more authentic version using tamarind. But tamarind paste can be hard to find (I get it at the Asian food market but it’s not close so when I’m out, I’m out!). We found this easy version that tastes pretty much like the real thing and really is so quick and easy to put together. We like to use any leftover meat that we have on hand—beef, chicken or shrimp and sometimes use cubed tofu. It’s totally customizable and the flavors are terrific! I hope you’ll give it a try sometime soon!
- (adapted from Everyday Food)
- 8 ounces dried, wide and flat rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 squirt (about ⅛ teaspoon) Sriracha (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil 3 scallions (green onions), white and green parts, separated and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large eggs, light beaten (optional)
- 1 cup firm tofu or cooked meat--steak, chicken, shrimp
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts
- Soak noodles according to package instructions. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat
- Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add eggs and cook, scraping skillet with spatula until eggs are almost set (about 30 seconds). Transfer eggs to a plate
- Add noodles, scallion greens, and sauce to skillet. Cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are soft (about 1 minute). Add egg mixture and toss to coat, breaking eggs up gently.
- Serve noodles with lime wedges, topped with cilantro and peanuts
It doesn’t take too many ingredients to whip up this Easy Pad Thai! Most of it you probably already have on hand!
The #SundaySupper Group was super excited to have Kids In the Kitchen this week and as you can see from the list below, lots of them got busy whipping up some yummy things! I can’t wait to try a few of them myself!
Start Your Day:
- Panko Encrusted French Toast Sticks ~Doggie At the Dinner Table
- Pineapple Not-Upside Down Muffins ~In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Bacon, Egg & Sausage Breakfast Cups ~Daily Dish Recipes
- Buttermilk French Toast with Homemade Cinnamon – Raisin Bread ~What Smells So Good
- Snack Attack: 3 Healthy Choices for Little Nibblers ~Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Fruit Salad in an Orange Cup ~Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Whole-wheat Pretzel Dogs ~Family Spice
- Poblano Mac ‘N Cheese ~Juanita’s Cocina
- Coconut Chicken and Shrimp ~Super for a Steal
- Lunie and Mini-me’s Grilled Pizza ~Cravings of a Lunatic
- Hedgehog Meatballs and Chili Dog Pie ~Cooking by the Seat of our Pants
- Walking Tostada~Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Sausage Rolls ~Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins ~In The Kitchen With KP
- Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers with Homemade Guacamole ~Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites ~Damn Delicious
- Golden Potato Patties ~My Trials in the Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Wings in Sesame Flavors ~The Queen’s Notebook
- Spaghetti Tacos~Girlichef
- Parmesan Corn on the Cob ~Home Cooking Memories
- Yum Yum Salmon and Green Beans ~Family Foodie
- Pad Thai ~Meal Planning Magic
- Chicken Tortilla Bake ~Mrs. Mama Hen
- Chocolate Slab ~Happy Baking Days
- Chocolate Chip Cut-Out Cookies ~Chocolate Moosey
- Self-Crust Coconut Pie ~Magnolia Days
- Fresh Cherry Clafoutis ~The Meltaways
- Wolf’s Wonderful Peanut Butter-Brownie Fudge Sundaes ~The Weekend Gourmet
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream ~The Messy Baker Blog
- Healthy Creamy Caramel Apple Parfaits with Greek Yogurt ~Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding Pops ~Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
- Chocolate Cheese Turnover ~Basic and Delicious
- Chocotorta Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Oatmeal and M&M Cookies ~That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Purple Blueberry Cake ~Tora’s Real Food
- Tropical Popsicles~Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Carrot Cupcakes~Diabetic Foodie
Be sure to check out the live #SundaySupper Twitter chat starting at 3 pm EST. We will be sharing great family recipes all afternoon plus tips on how to get kids into the kitchen and we want you to share yours with us! Follow us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper.