Real Food Fridays are back! Perhaps you were starting to think that the only thing I knew how to do was bake cookies for the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats. I’m hoping to bring back this feature on a more semi-regular basis. Now on to the recipe.
I have been making this soup forever! I got it originally from a recipe I clipped out of the newspaper back when I was in college (and that really was forever ago!). It was based on a famous Houston area restaurant’s recipe but over the years I have tweaked it and made it my own. My family loves it and I love that it is so easy to put together!
Did you know that January is National Soup Month? Well, it only makes sense since it is winter here in the U.S. and it feels so good to warm up with a hot bowl of homemade soup! (We also love this Homemade Chicken Noodle soup)
Love soup as much as I do? How about organizing a Soup Swap? The concept is simple: Make soup, get together with friends and bring your soup, swap soups into different freezable containers and take home a variety of soups to enjoy later. Easy, fun and delicious!
What’s your favorite kind of soup? I hope you’ll give this one a try too!
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, including tops
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies, undrained (or use one small fresh jalapeno, diced)
- 2 cups chicken or turkey breast, cubed (shredded rotisserie chicken works great for this too!
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, uncooked
- 2 cups rice, uncooked (white converted or brown works best)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- Tortilla chips
- 2 cups low-fat, part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Sliced avocados, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan, sauté onion in oil over medium heat. Add chicken broth, tomatoes with green chilies, chopped green chilies, chicken or turkey breast, beans, corn and rice. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Just before serving, pour into soup bowls; top with tortilla chips and shredded mozzarella cheese and optional avocado. Makes 4-6 servings.