For as long as I can remember, my parents used to get the fruit-of-the-month sent to them as gifts around the holidays. Each month they would get some sort of exotic fruit to sample—sometimes things we’d never seen or heard of before.
A few months ago I received a neat little package from a new company called Naturebox. In it was a variety of different snacks that are designed to be healthier versions of the snacks you may already be eating. They are made from wholesome ingredients and are nutritionist approved and contain no high fructose corn syrup, no partially hydrogenated oils, no trans fats, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors.
Naturebox works as a subscription, much like the fruit-of-the-month club my parents used to get, but instead it’s filled with healthy snacks! Every month the selections change, but this is what I received in my box:
• Nuts for Granola
• Whole Wheat Figgy Bars
• Sunshine Chips
• Dried California Bing Cherries
We enjoyed all the samples but my son and I especially loved the granola! I think every time I turned around his hand was in the bag grabbing some! We took ours on a couple of road trips and they were perfect for those snack attacks that came between fill-ups.
You can order it by the month for $19.95 (which is only $4 per snack!) or sign up for the 6-month or annual subscription and receive a discount (currently they only ship to the 48 continental United States). It’s a fun way to discover new, healthier snacks for your family and you can feel better knowing that they’re not snacking on junk! Right now, the boxes are not customizable but they are working on updating that as well as offering different size quantities depending on your family’s needs.
I love that it comes with the little fact sheet that tells you about each snack and some serving suggestions as well as a recipe that uses one of the ingredients in the box (like the Chocolate Cherry No-Bake Cookies I made!)
These little bites of chocolate, oats, cherries and bananas are just enough to satisfy that sweet tooth--a little more naturally! Recipe by NatureBox
- 3 cups instant oats (I used regular oats because that’s what I had and it worked just fine)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup NatureBox dried cherries (chop up to smaller bits if you like—I did because it distributes the cherries more throughout the cookie!)
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed with fork
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or sunflower butter)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Combine sugar, milk, peanut butter, cocoa in a medium saucepan. Continue to stir over medium heat until it comes to a slow boil. Allow the mixture to boil for about one minute and then remove from heat. Let the mixture cool for a minute or two, then add in the oats, banana, vanilla, and cherries and stir to combine. Drop scoops onto a cookie sheet covered in waxed paper. Cool to room temperature or refrigerate.
- NOTE: My scoops were a little blob-like so if you want them to look more roundish, use a scoop and roll with your hands a bit if you want.
NatureBoxes make great gifts for your friends and family for holidays, special occasions, or anytime. College students, summer campers, teachers, coaches, new parents, and deployed service members all love to receive healthy snacks any time of the year.
Want to give it a try? Use the promo code SUMMERFUN may be used for 25% off your first month’s subscription. Please note that this only applies to month-to-month subscriptions- 6 month subscriptions always get 1 month free and 12 month subscriptions always receive 3 months free (a great deal, for sure!)
The folks at NatureBox have generously offered to provide a one-month subscription box to one lucky winner here on my blog!
Here’s How To Enter (Primary Entry):
Leave a comment with your favorite healthy snack for your family.
ADDITIONAL ENTRIES (OPTIONAL-DO ONE OR ALL OF THE BELOW and post a separate comment for each):
Like Meal Planning Magic and Naturebox on Facebook
Follow Meal Planning Magic and Naturebox on Twitter
Retweet this Giveaway on Twitter
Giveaway ends Monday, July 23, 2012 at 11:59 p.m CST. Contest is now closed. Congratulations to Huong V. who is the winner! Winner will be posted on blog and if an email is given, they will be contacted via email. Open to U.S residents in the 48 continental United States only
Disclosure: I did receive a one month sample box from NatureBox however all the opinions here are my own.